Sashabaw Middle School and Clarkston Junior High will be starting practice on the first full day of school (Tuesday, August 29). Have a sports physical completed BEFORE you start practice. See below for physical information.
New runners, feel free to join us and try us out for a couple weeks. No, we do not make you run 10 miles the first day of practice. We slowly build up throughout the season. At each meet, there are separate races for all abilities. It does not matter what your time was in the mile last year. Our team is a very entertaining crew with some who like to race, some who want to get in shape, and some who are just out to talk with their friends and meet new people. Practices vary with endurance training, speed training, game activities, and strengthening exercises.
Check out the links above for more information about what is cross country, our schedule, and other useful tidbits.
How to Sign Up
The cost to join the cross country team is $175 for the season. We are a club sport sponsored by Clarkston Community Education. Unfortunately, this means the community ed fee does NOT apply towards the athletic pay to participate fee for all other school sports. Example, you also plan to play volleyball (which is an official school sport) in the winter. You would need to also pay the Clarkston Athletic pay to participate fee for volleyball when volleyball season starts.
The following needs to be completed to register for cross country:
- Pay and complete the Community Education registration and fee. This is done through Independence Township Parks and Recreation. You can register in person, by phone or online. Visit the township parks and rec website at itpr.org to register online. Search for community ed then cross country.
- Complete the online athletic Contract. Note: You do not need to pay the Clarkston Athletic pay-to-participate fee. You only pay the Clarkston Athletic pay-to-participate fee if/when you sign up for an official athletic department school sport.
- Complete a physical and turn in a copy to your coach. You can download a copy of the physical form here.
Online registration opens near the beginning of August for the fall cross country season. However you will want to print off and schedule a physical with your family doctor sooner.
Physicals for this school year must be dated AFTER April 15. Most likely that physical you did for the spring track season or other spring sport is not valid for this school year. Can't get an appointment at your doctor that fits your schedule? Pine Knob Urgent Care (Sashabaw Rd) offers sports physicals for $20 (last we checked). Bring a copy of the physical form. Walk in at any time they are open or you can schedule an appointment using their website. Call 248-274-9910 for info.
There are 3 ways to keep up with the team:
- View the weekly newsletter detailing the events for the week. Usually updated Saturday/Sunday.
- Sign up for text messages using the remind service. We use this method to communicate late breaking news. Maybe a practice had to be canceled last minute or while at a meet we need to send out info, etc.
SMS Remind Sign Up: remind.com/join/smscrossx
CJHS Remind Sign Up: remind.com/join/cjhscrossx
- Occasionally you may also see an email blast. We use this method to communicate information that did not make it into the newsletter or reminders about events or pleas for help. You do not need to sign up. We use the email address you entered when you completed the online athletic contract.
- Sashabaw Runners
Have a gym bag with running shoes and clothes you can run in. Bring a water bottle. Have a gym lock to lock your bag in the gym locker after you change. After school (2:25) go to the lockerroom to change and then meet in LGI C. Parents need to pick up their runners at 4:30 in front of SMS.
- CJHS Runners
After school (2:35) go straight to coach Rykse's room (Room 404). After a brief study hall, we then go to the lockerroom to change for practice. Have a gym bag with running shoes and clothes you can run in. Bring a water bottle. Have a gym lock to lock your bag in the gym locker after you change. Parents need to pick up their runners at 4:45 in front of CJHS.
- Clarkston Virtual Students
Students who attend Clarkston Virtual are eligible to participate on the cross country team. For practices, you will need to arrange transportation to SMS (6th & 7th graders) or CJHS (8th graders) so you arrive at the end of the school day and meet the team at the meeting spot (see above). SMS virtual students use the 7th grade loop, CJHS virtual students use main driveway loop or the Middle Lake Rd parking lot loop. Note, the loops at the end of the day get busy. The first week prepare to adjust when you arrive based on traffic. Email your coach when you register so we know to expect you. For our home meets, you will need to arrange transportation to CHS to meet us there. See the weekly newsletters for when you should arrive by. For our weekday away meets, arrange transportation to your school to meet us at least 15 minutes prior to when the bus is scheduled to leave (see weekly newsletter for times). For our weekend meets, everyone is responsible for arranging their own transportation to the meet.
The week before school begins, look for the Week 1 and Week 2 Newsletters to be posted on our website with more detailed information about those first couple of weeks. See the schedule on our website for the tentative fall cross country meets. Hope to see you soon.